Meta (formerly known as Facebook) acquired Instagram back in 2012. Recently you may have seen a “From Facebook” message appearing on your Instagram loading screen. Before that, Facebook users could link their accounts to their Instagram pages. However, linking accounts makes simultaneous sharing easy and your social media experience seamless.
Regardless of the benefits of linking Facebook to Instagram, you give them more power over your browsing habits and data. This scenario is perhaps one of the reasons people decide to unlink their Facebook account from Instagram. Another might be getting hacked and losing control over one of the social platforms. Thousands of users have experienced takeovers in which the hacker posted hundreds of photos on Instagram or took control of their Facebook account and perhaps their friend list. That’s just a small group of examples of what is possible.
Still, receiving double Instagram message notifications from Instagram and Facebook can be annoying. If you do not care too much about linked accounts, unlinking Facebook from Instagram might be your best bet. Here’s how to do it.
How to Disconnect Facebook from Instagram
Most people access social media using their smartphone or tablet devices. Indeed, the desktop web version of the Instagram app is more or less redundant. While people tend to use Facebook on their mobile devices, it’s not unheard of for some to access their Facebook pages using their Mac or PC.
How to Unlink Facebook from Instagram using a Mac or PC
Instagram users can easily unlink their two accounts via a web browser with just a few steps. First, you’ll need to visit Instagram’s website. Here’s how to unlink your two accounts using the Instagram website:
- Log into Instagram and click on your profile icon in the upper right-hand corner. Then, click on ‘Settings.’
- Scroll down this page and click on the blue ‘Accounts Center’ hyperlink in the lower left.
- Click ‘Accounts’ in the lower left-hand corner.
- Click ‘Remove’ next to your Facebook account.
Now, your accounts are unlinked. But what if you don’t have access to your computer? Fortunately, you can also unlink your accounts on the Instagram app too.
From Your iOS or Android
Let’s get one thing straight. Don’t try doing it via the Facebook app. There isn’t an option that allows you to disconnect your Facebook account and your Instagram page on Facebook.
The only way to unlink the two is by using the mobile Instagram app. Of course, you can do it via an iPhone or an Android device. And it pretty much works the same.
- Navigate to the Instagram app and tap on your profile picture to access your account.
- Go to the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) and tap the icon.
- Tap on ‘Settings.’
- Find the ‘Account Center’ and tap to enter it.
- Tap on ‘Account Center.’
- Tap on ‘Accounts.’
- Locate your Facebook account(s). Tap ‘Remove.’
- Tap ‘Continue.’
- Tap the button that says ‘Remove [Your Facebook Name].’
Voila! You’ve successfully unlinked your Facebook and Instagram accounts.
How to Remove Instagram Posts from Facebook
Even when you have unlinked the two, you will notice that your Facebook profile will feature some posts from Instagram. This situation exists because you have selected the option to share every Instagram post on Facebook.
To remove Instagram posts from Facebook, you must manually delete them. This process uses your Facebook account, not Instagram.
Using the Android/iOS App to Remove Instagram Posts from Facebook
- Run the Facebook app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Navigate to your profile by tapping the profile icon in the menu in the upper/lower part of the screen (depending on whether you are using an Android or an iOS device, respectively).
- Once on your profile, you will need to go to the Instagram Photos album. To do so, scroll down on your profile page until you see the Photos entry.
- Tap it, and you will see a list of Photos of You.
- In the upper part of this page, you can choose between different folders. Go to the Albums folder.
- In this view, navigate to a folder titled Instagram Photos. You will see a list of your posts from Instagram.
- To delete these posts, tap on each photo separately, and go to the three-dot menu.
- Click on the option to ‘Delete photo.’
This process might be slightly annoying, particularly if you have a lot of photos in the album. Fortunately, there is another way to do it.
Using PC/Mac to Remove Instagram Posts from Facebook
By using your desktop web browser, you can quickly delete the entire Instagram Photos folder without going through repetitive deletion patterns.
- Go to Facebook.com on your favorite browser using a Windows or Mac PC.
- Go to your profile by selecting it from the left-hand list or clicking on your profile photo next to the status entry bar.
- On your profile page, you will see a quick list of items about you. If the Photos menu is apparent, select See All to the right. If not, go to the More tab and select Photos.
- Go to the Albums tab. Here, you will also find the Instagram Photos folder.
- Click on the Instagram photos.
- To delete it entirely, click on the three-dot icon to the right and select Delete Album.
- Confirm by clicking Delete Album.
There you have it! All Instagram posts have been removed from your Facebook profile!
Even though Instagram is now under the Facebook umbrella, there still might be a reason why you would prefer to unlink the two. Maybe you do not want your Facebook page cluttered. Maybe you are posting different types of content on the two. Whatever the reason, as long as you use the right platform, unlinking Facebook from Instagram is quick and easy. Just stick to the Instagram app, and you are all good.
Removing Facebook from Instagram FAQs
If you still have questions about linking and unlinking your Meta accounts, keep reading.
How can I change the Instagram account I linked?
You can link multiple Facebook pages and a Facebook profile to your Instagram account. Facebook pages get linked to Meta accounts, so whichever Facebook account you link to Instagram will also bring the involved pages to the table. To change the connected Facebook account on your Instagram, unlink the current one, and choose the new one, carefully following the outlined instructions.
However, you can choose where you want the Instagram posts that you share to appear. By navigating to Linked Accounts in your Instagram app (as explained earlier), go to the Share to option under Facebook.
Here, you can select whether you want the simultaneous shares to appear on the linked Facebook profile or one of the pages linked to the Facebook profile in question. Select whatever meets your preference.
Will disconnecting Instagram from Facebook remove the posts from Facebook?
As mentioned earlier, no, it won’t. The fact that you’ve unlinked your Instagram account from Facebook doesn’t mean that the Facebook posts get deleted. As explained above, this is because the moment your Instagram post is auto-shared to Facebook, it becomes a separate entity of sorts. In other words, it becomes a post you can only delete manually.
Should I unlink everything?
Using social media has become a skill all of its own. Some people prefer their Instagram posts to be reshared on Facebook, while others keep things separate. This scenario also applies to other Instagram-linkable platforms. Use Instagram to your advantage; you will know whether and what you need to unlink/link.